The French-Canadian origin of the name "La Tuque" dates from the early nineteenth century.
The mountain-shaped like a toque which gave its name to the city of La Tuque, is located between the St. Maurice River (left bank) and Smurfit-Stone mill (paper) became RockTenn in January 2011. The top of this mountain is approximately 245 meters. It is located 200 meters from the river and about 400 meters upstream (north side) of the hydroelectric plant of La Tuque.
At the time trappers and traders of New France plied the St. Maurice River (with a width of 1.5 to 2 km in places) and Bostonnais river, the most recognized landmark of the sector was a mountain rocky appearance rather peeled, having at its top a few trees. His appearance toque influenced natives and trappers of French ancestry. This summit near the river was designated as the main benchmark of the sector, being visible from several kilometers downstream and amont3. La Tuque was born, at least traditionally, if not officially.
The explorer Francis Verreault described the in 1823-24: "Travellers call it La Tuque, due to a high mountain whose peak resembles a tuque. This portage is a league with strong ribs to rise. "Formerly, the top of that mountain was used for the observation of navigation on the river and surrounding area surveillance.
In America, a "toque" is a wool cap, usually with a tassel at the top, used in winter to cover the head. This term is used for a long time.
The city of La Tuque is located 167 km north of Trois-Rivières. The agglomeration of La Tuque consists of an area of 421.48 km2 28 km2 of which 3316 are covered with fresh water. It is the second municipality in Quebec after Baie-James and the sixth in Canada. This city is located north of the Mauricie and is part of the agglomeration of La Tuque which it is the capital. It shares its boundaries with six municipalities (Senneterre, James Bay, Lac-Bouchette, Lac-Edouard, The Bostonians and Trois-Rives) and 12 unorganized territories. It also enclave two native reserves, Wemotaci and Obedjiwan.
1651 arrival of the first white to Atikamekw Native American territory in order to evangelize. About 550 Indians occupied the shores of the St. Maurice River. Father Jacques Buteux (first Jesuit missionary in the region) was one of the first white victim of Iroquois raids.
Late eighteenth century: The Atikamekw, the war against the Iroquois and victims of epidemics of smallpox, are almost annihilated. These nomadic assiduously frequented the trading posts installed by the Company of Hudson Bay.
1680 fur trade increases. Thirty white roamed the territory. The North West Company and the Hudson's Bay Company intensify trafficking often to the detriment of indigenous. Trading posts are installed at Piles at River Rat, La Tuque (1700), the Vermilion River (La Tuque) to Parent and Weymontachie.
Mid-nineteenth century: The Euro-Quebec colonization of the Upper Mauricie really starts with logging.
The factory of Smurfit-Stone. Pulp and paper is the main industry of the region.
1908 installation of the St-Maurice Industrial Co. in the La Tuque area, paper industry operating. She took advantage of the increased demand for paper from the United States, due to the depletion of the northeastern US forests.
First part of the twentieth century: the Shawinigan Water & Power Company is installing hydroelectric dams in Rapide-Blanc, La Trenche at Beaumont and La Tuque. They provide the energy needed for the establishment of large paper mills and economic development.
Years 1930/1950: rising standards of living produces a class of people looking for adventure hunters and fishermen. The region offers such abundant wildlife it attracts hunters from other regions of Quebec, but also in other countries, from September to November as the races for which hunting is permitted. The moose, which was once again seen as a resource for poor people became fashionable, as much for the taste of the meat for the trophy. The "plume" (timber) of this momentum is the biggest on the planet. Before the government introduces legislation governing hunting, moose population was close to elimination. It is heuresement back in full force! Currently the Nature Adventures companies always attract as many fans of the entire planet for hunting and fishing, with a considerable number of trout lakes, brook trout, pike and walleye in the region.
1970: the height of the city. Sports and tourism events held there attract people from around the world to participate. The "24 Hours of La Tuque International Swim" invites swimmers from around the world (Europeans, Americans, Africans - including Egyptians) come and participate in a team competition, uninterrupted 24-hour shifts. Tourists and locals come in large numbers to attend, as well as dozens of activities parallel installed around Lake Saint Louis, lake stood the competition. The competition has unfortunately ceased operation around 1980. The International Canoe Classic "is also present, but for much longer, and is still in force. Teams of two people in canoe river, and multiple teams rabaska, take the start from La Tuque to descend the course of the Saint-Maurice River to Trois-Rivières. Everything is done in a weekend, in stages. International teams join it every year. During these years, the direct population of the city is about 13 000 inhabitants.
Gouvernement du Québec, « La Tuque » [archive], Répertoire des municipalités, sur Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire, 8 janvier 2011
Centre interunivesitaire d'études québécoises:http://mauricie.cieq.ca/index.php?p=banque_de_photographies