March 16, 1677, the Comte de Frontenac, Governor General of Canada, conceded to Marie-Anne de Saint-Denys Juchereau a lordship 'of half a head of a league of land along the St. Lawrence River '' and two league deep. It’s from the dimension of the lordship that comes the name “Demi-Lieue” today used to describe the large campground located west of what was once the stronghold. Long about a mile and a half or half a league, the manor was between that of Aulnaies and that of Port-Joly and extended from the Elgin road, north-east, the road Caronette at south west. The land was first part of the parochial perspective of Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies but since 1755 it belongs to St-Jean- Port-Joli.
The stronghold of the Demi-Lieue, as are several other fiefs, carried many names. L'Islet-to-the-skin (or L'Isle-to-the-skin), Auteuil, or Rheaume (Réaume) and La Pocatière appear on many old documents.
Among the families who came to settle in the Demi-Lieue early last century, figure the Chamard family. Francois Chamard, whose ancestor was from Saint-Hilaire in France, arrived at St. Jean Port Joli, July 27, 1819. The couple left many descendants. Edmond, their great grand son, married Emilie Caron, excellent artisan who contributed so much to St. Jean Port Joli. From this marriage was born Jean-Luc Chamard who laid with his wife Cecile Dupont, the beautiful campground “La Demi-Lieue”.
In 2005 Serge Rioux and his son Jean-Sébastien, owners of the group Camping Union, are acquiring the Demi-Lieue Lieue. The Rioux family who’s first ancestor Jean Rioux was lord of Trois-Pistoles in 1696 have strong roots in this region.